Wow, what a small world. When I was choosing a university to study music, I had a number of offers to choose from, so I thought I should narrow down the selections by looking for schools that were also strong in my second area of study, entomology. My mentor's area of specialty was the order Hymenoptera (bees, wasps and ants), so naturally I spent a lot of time studying these critters.
I'm not sure the pain scale does justice to the experience of being stung by a wasp that stalks tarantulas, unless the scale is logarithmic like the Seismic scale?
I've been bitten and stung by sweat bees, common honey bees, Africanized "killer bees", yellowjackets and other hornets, fire ants and a horsefly or two. I've also been stung by jellyfish. Ow! But when I was stung by the Tarantula Hawk my thumb swelled and turned black and blue for two weeks.
I highly recommend avoiding the sting of the Pepsis wasp, if you have the chance. <g>