Patti (whipartist) wrote,

Long day

After my two-hour nap turned into six, I bailed out of here and walked over to the TKTS booth to figure out what my show would be for the night. Unlike my last London trip, where nothing appealed to me very much, the choice was difficult. I wound up with a ticket to Cry Baby, a musical remake of a John Waters film I've never seen.

Next stop: Sofitel to pick up the coveted South Pacific tickets. They were waiting at the front desk as expected. Yay!

As I left, I realized that I hadn't eaten in something like 18 hours, and it was starting to get to me. I walked and walked through Times Square, and nothing looked appealing. Finally, just as I was about to settle for some random sandwich, I passed a White Castle. They had seating, too. I don't know why, but that was exactly the right thing at the moment.

From there I hopped on the Subway and headed to lower Manhattan. I had absolutely no intention of visiting ground zero when I came here, but at the moment it seemed like the thing to do. I hopped off at Canal Street and walked the rest of the way down, enjoying the absolutely perfect weather.

Before I go further, I should point out that I cry at weddings, funerals, graduations, happy movies, sad movies, post-meltdown freeway reopenings, and dogfood commercials. It's just what I do. I was fully prepared to spend my entire visit in tears, but when I got there the only thing I could feel was anger. It wasn't anger that someone had done this, but rather that our leaders had so little respect for the people who died here that they could twist it into an excuse to further their political agendas.

As I left, I stumbled across some people playing a chouette (a form of backgammon) in a small park, and stopped to watch for a while. From there I walked over to Wall Street, hopped the subway back to my hotel for a few minutes, then headed off to the theater.

Cry Baby was pretty good, but not great. The orchestra had a few amusing bits at the beginning and end of the show.

I grabbed a sandwich, headed back to the hotel, relaxed for a bit, then headed off to Paddles-- an SM club. It's much like the Citadel in San Francisco, except that one of the local rules is no sex. Weird, but not an impediment for me-- I wouldn't be doing that with anyone I met at the club anyway.

I was quickly drawn into a conversation with a couple of local pro dommes-- my hair draws much more attention out here than it does in San Francisco. The club was fairly quiet, and I wasn't really in a mood to hunt, so I spent my time hanging out and chatting. One lovely woman was quite fun to talk to, and after a bit we discovered that we've known each other online for fifteen years. Small world! We spent a fair bit of time chatting about mutual friends and acquaintances, and telling stories about days of yore. She was even kind enough to give me a ride back to my hotel. (Hi!)

Oh, and it's fleet week here... there are sailors everywhere! I even passed a bunch of Canadian Navy guys today. Who knew Canada even had a navy? I guess they need protection from the evil Greenland.

And now, sleep. Tomorrow, South Pacific and maybe Passing Strange, then probably another trip to Paddles.

Google tells me that I walked about six miles today. That number doesn't include walking through subway stations, buildings, etc., and it's probably 20% low. Hooray for walkable cities!
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded