I spent the evening in the darkroom. Remember the crap on my negatives that I thought might have been scanning artifacts? I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that it's on the negatives. I was kind of hoping that wasn't the case. The good news is that, after thinking about it for a while and talking to a couple of people, I think I know what happened. If I'm right, and I'm 90% confident that I am, it's something that I fucked up during development rather than a problem with the camera.
I developed this film in a tank that holds three reels of medium format film. I only had two. What a smart person would do in this situation is put an empty reel on top so that the film was held down in the developer solution. What a n00b would do is space on putting the third reel in, and let the top reel potentially float up out of the developer. This completely fits with the sort of bubbly look of the grunge.
If I was in love with the images I could fix some of it in Photoshop. Since they were just test shots, I don't really care. I did a print of the railroad tracks that I kinda like, though. I'm extremely happy with my choice of crops. Here's my scan of the print, and the scan of the negative that I posted last night:
|comments: Leave a comment|